Fixing Capitalism

Adam Cormier was an activist filmmaker based in Vancouver. His initial project, Fixing Capitalism, started out as a film about progressive and sustainable business. This blog was set up to follow Adam's struggle as he fought to get his film made and keep his dreams alive. For a whole bunch of reasons, the film failed to see production. This blog is now about the lessons Adam learned while failing as a filmmaker, his continued creative efforts, and whatever else comes to mind

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Film-making is Fun

Hi

It's raining every day in Vancouver for hours and hours.

Doc Talk was freaking awesome! I met a host of talented filmmakers, broadcasters, commissioning editors, and producers. My head is full of advice and feedback. The feedback was good by the way, lots of people telling me that I'm on to something cool and to keep plugging away. I also had lots of people telling me to do more work and then get back to them. Since I've never made a movie before many of the industry people need me to prove myself.

No matter what anyone says, I'm going to make this freaking movie. I've never been so committed to making something happen. Film-making is fun too, I'm really enjoying this process. It is such a wonderful opportunity to entertain and enlighten the world...


Other things that are going on right now:

I'm trying to find a development partner to match my grant from the CIFVF and officially kick start the development process. You know the one. Where there is money and contracts and the project officially "exists". So, I'm spending a lot of time this month trying to find a broadcaster or production company to put development money in the film. Anyone reading this who knows of a likely partner please send me a note.

The CIFVF grant has an upcoming deadline so if an angel is going to appear, now would be a good time.

I'm also spending a lot of time writing and figuring out exactly what the film will be about, the story arc, and structure, etc. This past Saturday found me attending an all day seminar on story structure by the legendary Don White. It was a great day and I learned a lot about weaving a good story. Don's teachings where incredible and I recommend anyone who is making a documentary seek him out!

I was thinking yesterday and berating myself for my slow pace of progress and then I realized. This film is going to be around forever, someone could watch it in 500 years.

If I have to live with this film for the rest of life I'm damn well going to take my time and do it right. Cause once it's done and out in the world, you can't take it back.

Much peace and love folks, I hope you're all having a wonderful day.

Adam

1 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Adam!

It's the sign girl on Granville St.

I've been trying to learn more about capitalism and try to weigh my own views on it. I know you want that huge ugly sign I wear to be in it so...I'm on Granville St. every saturday from 2-6PM, you can't miss me with that sign if you are stil interested in an interview. I'll try to bring my gun-ho capitalist friend along with me if I can.

I love documentaries, and good luck!

Judy,

NEXT! Sign Girl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home