Fixing Capitalism

Adam Cormier was an activist filmmaker based in Vancouver. His initial project, Fixing Capitalism, started out as a film about progressive and sustainable business. This blog was set up to follow Adam's struggle as he fought to get his film made and keep his dreams alive. For a whole bunch of reasons, the film failed to see production. This blog is now about the lessons Adam learned while failing as a filmmaker, his continued creative efforts, and whatever else comes to mind

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Fixing Capitalism: Now Starring..... ME!

Hello everyone,

WOW, so many developments since I last posted here. The major thing is that a new team has been put together and they have been rocking the mic on this film. In the past two months both Alan Goldman (www.blueplate.ca) and Greg Stirling (www.borderlessworld.ca) have been bringing Fixing Capitalism forward in leaps and bounds. I feel very lucky to have two such professional and experienced people join the team. Also of great value has been Paul Bennett, Greg's editing partner. You'll understand when you see the new trailer how talented Paul is.

Now, that main change that has been made to the film's focus is that we using my story as the main...glue, holding the film's ideas together. All this time I've been searching for stories of people trying to "Fix" Capitalism and here it was sitting in front of me. I'VE been trying to fix capitalism for four freaking years!

So yeah, the film is now about me and my quest for answers about capitalism. You'll follow me on a journey as I try and answer the burning question: Can capitalism be fixed?

We've cut together a new trailer with this theme staring Moi but I haven't had time to redo the full website and stick it up there. Anyone reading this, feel free to e-mail me and ask for a copy.

Expect big and exciting developments in the coming months!

It's late here in East Vancouver. These past weeks also brought me a new day job. I left my landscaping gig and took a job on a TV show that will be aired on HGTV this summer. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to Blog about it.... hmmmm... I wonder if I could become one of those bloggers who gets in trouble for blogging about their work?

I am enjoying this new job. I'm learning a lot about construction, film production, and even getting to be on camera. I'll be sure to let you know the day and time of the show when it starts airing in June.

Speaking of that, I have a 7:15 am 'Call Time' so it's off to bed for me!

To recap: I have a new team, they rock. The film's main character is now me, I'll bring you on my journey as I try and find some freaking answers about capitalism. Can it be fixed? This question has been driving me bonkers and I am honestly obsessed with finding its answer.

I’ll try and blog again soon to update you and provide some more details about the recent developments. As a first time filmmaker the past little while has been very interesting and educational.

Until then, keep on rocking the mic

Your in the evolution of our race,

Adam C

6 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Adam,

Thank you for helping our pitiful race. But you are 'staring' at your film? Not "starring"? Are you looking really intesely at it? I guess you are. All right then.
Good work!

q.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Rob said...

hey adam,

I think concept of making the film about your story is a good one - it should make the film more interesting to follow a person's journey.

But what about getting someone like Leonardo Dicaprio to play your part in the film :-)

rob_

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like a very interesting documentary. I'm guessing capitalism can't be 'fixed' unless there is a major change in govt which would imply a major change in public opinion which would imply some mass re-education which would involve mass amounts of money...which would involve corporate buy-in... and who wants to spend money that would be detrimental to one's business / way of life? It's a cycle that brings us back to capitalism again....looking forward to your documentary Adam.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Christina said...

So, my pessimistic side tends lean towards Brandi’s side and tends to think that mass re-education may be needed, but then I'm reminded about the 'one step at a time' model. Culture is affected and morphed, slowly but surely, by the things we do and the decisions we make as a people. Political correctness, for example, didn’t just get introduced overnight…we adapted to it slowly as a society. It's important to remember that one person, one business and one small change can make a larger ripple effect in the 'capitalist' world. It may take a while, a long while, and there are definitely a lot of systemic problems which feel daunting, but, at the risk of sounding naïve and overly optimistic, I say that we can't stop believing in the power of the one!

And so on that note I say...GO ADAM! :)

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second Christina's motion, and believe in the power of the one... or at least in the power of one to motivate and inspire others... which is essentially the only way to initiate real and lasting change.

With four years and running on this documentary, I'm inspired by your dedication Adam, not to mention by your cause.

Keep on keepin',
Robyn

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good news indeed.

Please post more often.

Cheers,

Andrew Mallory

 

Post a Comment

<< Home